A food processor, can be helpful in a lot of ways. Whether you have to chop vegetables, knead dough, shred a block of cheese or make some creamy nut butter, if you have a food processor, you have nothing to worry about. Chopping vegetables may take half an hour for amateurs like me. If you have a food processor, you can get the job done in minutes, it doesn’t matter whether you’re an amateur or a pro. One can go on and on about the benefits of food processor if you have one, however, that is not the purpose of this article. Here I will give you a few tips to keep in mind when making nut butter using your food processor.
- Some people use blender to make nut butter. However, the best option for this task is a food processor. The reason is that with a blender it will be very difficult to scrape out all the butter from the bottom of the jug. With a food processor, which has a wider and shallower bowl as compared to a blender, scraping out the butter from the walls and the base would be much easier. This way you will be wasting much less of your precious nut butter.
- At some point, you might think that the recipe is not going to work and all your time and money has been wasted. This is because the mixture will appear crumbly and nowhere near a smooth butter, but keep processing and it will eventually turn into butter once the oils have been released from the nuts.
- Do not, under any circumstances, add liquids to the butter because they will separate from the oil, disturbing the consistency of the mixture. You can add a little oil to make your butter smooth but no water based liquids otherwise you will spoil the butter beyond repair.
- If you have to add oil, add it at the very end of the process. This is because the nuts will release their own oils as well and if you have added oil in the beginning you might get a butter that is too thin. After the nuts have released their oils, you will know exactly how much oil to add, if at all needed, to achieve the right consistency.
- Roast your nuts lightly in the oven before making into nut butter to enhance the flavor. But in doing so, you need to be especially careful not to burn the nuts. Even if slightly burnt, they would add bitterness to the flavor. Also, processing the nuts while they are still a little warm, will release more oils and thus enhance the flavor.
- Turn the machine off at intervals to prevent the motors from being overworked and possible burnout. Let it run for a couple of seconds, turn off and wait for a couple of seconds before resuming.